Saturday 28 July 2012

Crab attack!

On Wednesday, we went crabbing. We went on the jetty on the side of Langstone with no Ship Inn on it. Even though we are all vegetarians, we bought some bacon to use as bait. It works a treat! I filled a tub with water and dropped in the crab-line. My third catch was pretty big. About a two-inch carapace. My line got tangled so I gave it to dad to untangle. He said I could use his line. I took it out of the water. It felt very heavy. I looked down, and a four-inch Common Crab was dangling down from the bait!!!!!!!! EPIC. It had nearly devoured the bacon and was about to drop off, so I quickly removed it to the box and gave it some more bacon. I met a boy called Jason who was going to Warblington in Year 7 like me. But I mainly wanted to say about the birds.

Spotted:
2 Little Egrets
a Grey Wagtail
a Pied Wagtail
Great Tits in nearby tree
Magpies
Black-Headed Gulls
Herring Gulls

No photos, sorry!


Today, me and Jacob (The Stinge) went to sleep round Nan's for the night. Our great-uncle Alan was down from Scotland so Mum and Dad stayed round for the evening. We took some games, but the only one we played was Smuggle (Contraband). Despite Smith the black cat with an amputated tail, Nan's garden is a rather good one for birds. It is packed with House Sparrows and is home to numerous Collared Doves, a few Wood Pigeons, a couple of Stock Doves and loads of Robins. Smith had a go at a House Sparrow but I chased him off. He killed a House Mouse in front of me. Not the most pleasurable thing to watch.


P.S How are you doing with those feeders and tables? Hope to hear back from you. Happy birding!

1 comment:

  1. My kids both love crabbing.
    We did loads on holiday in Devon.
    Must find a good spot locally in Southampton.
    I believe the Hamble river estuary is good,
    Alan

    ReplyDelete