Thursday 7 February 2013

Where There Is Geese, There Is More Geese


Very overcast.
Three Brent Geese flew over.
Here comes the result of another awesome birding day! Geese. Lots of geese. This particular load of geese was at Farlington Marshes, the best option for local birdwatching (for me and others in Portsmouth and Havant). It certainly was very marshy today, with puddles of a size and depth and blackness that you would have thought they were actual ponds. The whole goose thing started when I was watching a Sanderling and three Brent Geese flew over. My gaze followed them (their honking had scared off the Sanderling) and they led it to a goose flock (gaggle).
However, I cast  my eye across to another part of the field and there are Canadian Geese there too!

A gaggle of Brent Geese,
but only a small one.
A break from grazing.
Now it is getting good. So I take more photos. I got some pretty legend close-ups on various individual geese. Here comes!

A Canadian Goose looks me in the eye...

They all honk.

He walks away, still looking at me...

They whisper-honk.

Then another one does it.
This actually happened. Strange birds. It proves they all have personalities like we do! Maybe it was my staring binoculars that look like giant predator eyes that made them nervous. Maybe t was the click of the camera shutter. Or maybe they were just plain cheeky. Or mad. Or weird. But birds are unique. Nought wrong with being different. I know "honk" is a very un-technical word but it does describe well the rrhonk! call of the Canadian Goose. After another long sludge through mud (god bless wellies!)  I came to another reed-bed, a quite large one in fact. What looked like the seed-heads of the Bulrushes (aka Reedmace) was actually another much bigger mass-flock of Brent Geese. Where there is geese, there is more geese. As soon as the binoculars are raised, they take off.

Mass take-off.
Here they come!
Right over me head. Awesome. 


Some Greylag Geese also flew over.

The next post is Getting Familiar With The Geese which lets us get to know our three geese on this post, the Brent (or Brant as some call it), the Canadian and the Greylag. Goodbye! P.S try to go on a "wild goose chase" as lot of birders call watching geese for yourself. The noise is deafening, but the geese are fantastic! Winter is the time to see mass-gaggles of grey geese in fields or black geese on mudflats. Bye!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment