Wednesday 24 April 2013

A Visit To Park Wood

A couple of days ago (I think it was the day before Getting Familiar With The Three Ducks was issued) me and my dad James met up with Alan Gibson (The Urbane Forager)  and went to Park Wood (remember the festival I told you about on 11th May?) to discuss some stuff (stuff rules). Alan's son and daughter (Theo and Tabitha) were there too. There was a massive Yew tree (I estimate 400 years old at least) that was a perfect climbing-frame. S me and Tabitha and Theo went up it at chatted about wildlife. I made a Wood Pigeon call and got the answer of a female and another flushed. There were tonnes of birds, so many I could not possibly list them all! As a birdwatcher, you will probably be familiar with the birds that occur in mixed woodland. I saw one Woodcock but told no-one as I would not like it (undetermined sex) disturbed. Their camouflage is awesomely good; it took me awhile to find it, even though I was staring at it for ages. I did not take a photo, because I do not know how Woodcock react to camera lenses. I was not expecting to find giant carved wooden feet there I must say!

Me on the left, Theo in the middle and Tabitha on the right. 

A map of Park Wood







Cowslip leaves


Wild/Wood Anemone leaves
Butcher's Broom "leaves". They are really "cladodes"
or flattened leaf-like stems. The real leaves are barely visible.
The flowers appear in the centre of the cladodes. 
Wild/Wood Anemone flower

Some more Butcher's Broom, this time with a berry with two seeds inside it. The cladode-tips are very spiky!
Sitting in a Yew tree chatting.
Well, there you go. Please come to the Friends Of Park Wood Festival on 11th May. It is run by the Woodland Trust who own the Park Wood. It is situated in the wood itself. I will be there! BYE!! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment