Saturday 6 April 2013

Latest Ibis News (fail no.9), Blog Email and "Bird Facts!" 4

Hi. The latest Ibis News is nothing much. I have not seen it for the ninth time which means is has either gone or is just epic at hiding.

Okay. Good News 1!!
I have made an email address for the blog. To avoid spam imbeciles, I have written it like this:

birding in the garden at hotmail dot com

but obviously you miss out the spaces, do an @ sign and a . instead of the words dot and at. Send in any photos of the legendary Glossy Ibis you have taken, or if you have seen it but not photographed it (shame) tell me. There is also supposedly a Red Kite in the field at the end of Penny Lane (is in my ears and in my eyes... la la la... I love that song) so if you see that please let me know. Any photo you have taken I will be happy to see (if you took them at Farlington Marshes or Langstone Harbour send them to the Langstone Ark too), any recordings I will be happy to hear. You might even want to just send me any bird-feeding tips, any notes on the birds coming to your garden, any good sightings you want to tell me about, any nests you have seen. Anything about birds or the blog send in! I will get back to you.

Good News 2!! 
My Teal photo I showed you on the last post will be up on the Langstone Ark by the end of next week, says Louise (the woman who set up the Langstone Ark)

"Bird Facts!" 4




Most hummingbirds can't jump or even walk! In mating, the female on a branch has to stay motionless and cannot adjust her position for when the male lands on her back because her legs cannot move her. Even to move along a short bit of twig to reach a flower, the hummingbirds are forced to fly. Fortunately they can hover well.



This is the Bee Hummingbird, the smallest bird in the world.
It is two inches long, including bill and tail.
This is the Sword-billed Hummingbird, the only bird in the world
to have a bill longer than the the body. The body, from bill-base
to tail-base is 3 inches long.  The bill is 4 inches long! This is one of the
largest species of  hummingbird and the only member of the Ensifera genus. 
 Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment